turbo end Pacific NW Region
Home Club Info Social At the Track In the Garage On the Road Spiel


  History
  Board Roster
  Perpetual Awards

 

 

History         Membership         Governance


History

Pacific NW Region

The Pacific NorthWest Region (PNWR) of the Porsche Club of America (PCA) was founded in December of 1959 by Gene Rideout and Bruce McCassey. Their intent was to bring together people interested in discussing the technical details of their cars, beyond what they could get learn from the local dealerships of the time.

Initially, the club had between 60-70 members. Many of the now Zone 6 clubs were once part of PNWR. The Washline, a mimeographed 2-page mailing, was the club's first newsletter. It was put together on a monthly basis by editor Allan Caldwell and his wife. It has evolved into an 48-page, high quality, award winning publication, with Barb Coplen as editor and Diane Koontz as associate editor. Club members submit articles, stories and photographs.

PNWR now has over 1,500 members. Interests vary from track events, road tours, social gathering and, of course, like the region's founders, technical education.

History of PCA
(courtesy of pca.org)

Bill Sholar was a commercial artist in the Washington, D.C. area in the early 1950s. He also was an admirer of well-designed automobiles, and thus purchased his first Porsche, a 1953 356 Coupe. As time passed, Bill met other Porsches on the road, always blinking his headlights in silent greeting. By late 1954 Bill was convinced that a more personal meeting would be appropriate with other Porsche owners to discuss the positive and not-so-positive aspects of driving the infrequently encountered marque. Following a first gathering February 8, 1955 at the Sholar house, several Porsche owners occasionally got together that spring and summer to share knowledge about the unique cars they drove. Eventually they decided to start a club.

A brief paragraph in the August 1955 issue of Sports Car Illustrated informed readers that a Porsche club was being formed in the United States; all inquiries were directed to Bill Sholar's attention. Additionally, the Porsche factory was petitioned for recognition of the proposed club. Unofficially referring to themselves as "the gripe group," they officially titled the new organization the Porsche Club of America, and held their first business meeting on September 13, 1955 at Blackie's Grille in Alexandria, Virginia. Thirteen prospective members showed up but one had to reluctantly be asked to leave when she revealed that she owned not a Porsche but a Volkswagen, which didn't qualify under the club bylaws, which remain in effect today. Those in attendance at that first meeting were Bill Sholar, Karl Grimm, Peter Pearman, Ken Twigg, Frank Beckett, Gamble Mann, Fred Schulenburg, Bob Flick, Bob Elliott, Ray Pitts, Harvey Brown, and Don Carr. Sholar was elected President and a release was sent to the factory magazine Christophorus, introducing the Porsche Club of America to other Porsche enthusiasts. Word spread, and the 64 Porsche drivers who joined before January 1956 were designated as charter members.

As more and more members joined outside the Washington area, Regions were formed in other communities. The original Washington group eventually became Potomac Region, which remained the hub of activities. First appearing in December 1955, the club's monthly magazine, Porsche Panorama, kept all members, both nearby and remote, appraised of the latest technical information, factory news and events planned.

Early in 1956, Potomac Region arranged the first Porsche Parade as a gathering of all PCA members, and a blanket invitation was extended to all PCAers. Held at the Washingtonian Motel in Gaithersburg, Maryland, from August 29 through September 1, 1956, this first national convention drew 64 PCA members. Apart from a rally, a gymkhana, and technical tips from the factory service reps present, there was plenty of time for socializing and pit talk. Living up to its name, this Parade (and several others later) featured an actual parade of Porches through local streets.

By the time of the second Parade, there were 550 members in 21 Regions, mostly in the eastern U.S. Besides including a concours d'elegance for the first time, this 1957 Parade saw the first national officers elected from outside the founding Region, starting a trend that developed the club into a truly nationwide and, later, international organization.

These early days always saw a group of PCA members at local and national sports car races. Many PCAers who spent weekends racing their Porsches came out as winners; such drivers as Art Bunker, Bob Holbert, Lake Underwood and Charlie Wallace were beginning to develop Porche's "giant killer" reputation in this country.

With Max Bunnell as president, the 1958 Parade moved to New York State. That year also saw Sholar come up with something new for PCA members: a trip to the Porsche factory in Stuttgart. Eighty-one members made that first Treffen aboard a prop-driven Lufthansa Super Constellation, arriving to a welcome from not only the factory, but also many of the German Porsche Clubs. The Treffen presented the attractive option of taking delivery of a new Porsche at the factory, a tradition that is still available today. In October of that same year Sholar was appointed PCA's Executive Secretary, a job he held until 1962, running the day-to-day operations of the club with the help of a part-time secretary.

The Parade moved west for the first time when Rocky Mountain Region hosted the 1960 Parade in Aspen, Colorado. This event featured Dr. Ferry Porsche's first appearance at a Parade. Early in 1961, PCA appointed its first committee chairman to develop the club's activities even further and to coordinate activities at the Parade. This proved to be a great asset to the club, as over 250 PCAers attended the Sixth Parade. After only six years, PCA had earned the reputation as one of the best sports car clubs in the world.

In 1963 Sholar moved to a new position with Porsche of America Corporation, the U.S. importer. Before he did so, PCA's founder recommended his secretary, Jane Nestlerode, as his replacement as Executive Secretary. Until her retirement in 1980, Jane became synonymous with PCA National, running the office out of her home and serving the needs of a membership that grew over 800% during her tenure. Charter PCAer Ken Twigg was elected President in 1963 and PCA membership reached 2000 for the first time. The 1963 Treffen saw 40 PCAers take delivery of a car at the factory. Through the mid-1960s PCA racers continued to provide Porsche with SCCA victories, as Bruce Jennings, charter PCAer Don Wester, Bert Everett, Joe Buzzetta and others carried the Porsche banner into winners' circles across America in cars ranging from the ever-competitive Speedster to the more exotic Spyders, 904, and 906. Regions were not confined to the continental U.S. as Germany and Hawaii formed Regions in the early sixties.

Although each Region held a wide variety of events and meetings, the Parade became the pinnacle of PCA activity and the focal point for friendships among far-flung Porsche enthusiasts. By the late 1960s a typical Parade kept 500 entrants busy for an entire week, not to mention the time spent in preparation and travel. Classes in speed events and concours increased as the club's focus expanded to include all the models Porsche has given us. The Parade rally offered classes for both equipped and unequipped cars. 2001 found 1,300 Porsche people at the 46th Parade, in Milwaukee, WI celebrating the newest Porsche, the Carrera GT.

PCA has experienced exceptional growth, not only in members, but in the quality of its events and services. With the help of Ruth Harte, Executive Secretary from 1980 to 2001, and her successor, Diana Tringali, PCA serves over 50,000 members in 140 local Regions. PCA concours standards are second to none. Multiple national committees help members with technical problems, insurance valuations, event safety, public relations, and Region newsletters. Through its legislative liaison, PCA has a respected profile in Washington, DC, enjoying an excellent rapport with legislators. Activities today range from autocrossing, rallying, concours, and socializing to growing interests in restoration, Porsche history, and PCA Club Racing. A revised "Treffen" allows PCA members to visit the factory works in Stuttgart and the R & D unit at Weissach. The Club functions like a finely tuned Porsche.

One of the objectives stated in PCA's Bylaws is to promote the enjoyment and sharing of goodwill and fellowship engendered by owning a Porsche. Based on its steady growth in members, regions and events over the years, PCA is definitely achieving that objective. Come JOIN us.